While we are currently open for business, we are mindful of the health related risks posed by COVID-19 and are available for Virtual Zoom Consultations or Phone Consultations.

Rogers, Shea & Spanos

Schedule Your Appointment

3 forms of evidence that help parental alienation claims

On Behalf of | Sep 2, 2022 | Child Custody

Some people assume that shared custody is always best for the children, but that simply isn’t the case. The more conflict there is between the parents and the family, the more likely it is that shared custody will be hard on the children, if not overtly psychologically damaging.

Some parents need to ask for sole custody because their ex is physically abusive or neglects the children. Others worry about substance abuse issues. One of the most destructive things your ex might do involves intentionally interfering in your relationship with the children.

If you suspect your ex of parental alienation or trying to damage your relationship with the children, how do you prove that in court?

Document canceled visits

You and your ex have an obligation to do your best to uphold the custody order for your family. If your ex frequently cancels your visits or shortens your time with the children, that behavior may eventually constitute parental alienation. Keeping a record of every canceled visit can help you show a pattern of intentionally denied time with the children.

Turn to social media

If your ex has started talking badly about you to the children, they may have repeated that same story elsewhere. On the other hand, they might cancel your parenting time and then try to claim to other people that you didn’t show up like you should have. What your ex shares on social media could help show that they have actively tried to disparage you or that they have misrepresented your parenting arrangements to others.

Keep a record of what your children say

If your ex has started trying to alienate the children from you, they won’t just prevent you from spending time together. They will talk badly about you to the children. What the children repeat to you or accuse you of can give you an idea of what your ex has said about you. Keeping detailed records of unpleasant conversations and accusations from your children can help you show that your ex has tried to turn them against you and has put their own petty vindictiveness ahead of what is best for your kids.

Proving parental alienation could potentially help you secure a more favorable child custody order or obtain a modification of an existing custody order.

FindLaw Network

A Premier Nashville Firm For Complex Divorce